Zack was 18 and had been going to UVU for the last year, along with high school. This class was his last class for his associates. He was in a long term relationship, not so healthy relationship as well. He was also working and saving up for his mission bc that December he'd be 19 and able to go.
SO how we first saw one another... I was late (as usual) and Zack on time (as usual) and he was sitting in the back (which is where we both usually sit:P). I passed the class room 3 times (Zack saw me so I can't get out of that one) ... Once I finally figured out where I was going, I walked in and sat in the first seat I saw... Next to Zack. He laughed as I sat down and I looked at him (HOLY HOT) is what I thought. Beautiful blue eyes and amazing smile. I was embarrassed and asked if he saw me pass the class room and he just smiled and nodded. That was the start to our "relationship" or "friendship" we talked, joked, got in trouble every day of class that summer. Zack still remembers what I was wearing that first day (which is so cute of him bc I didn't remember what he was wearing). He thought I was just this hot, funny older girl that he'd never have. I thought he was a mysterious cowboy ...
The cowboy thing comes from us talking that first day. Him asking me where I'm from and me asking him. I said Mesa and He said "Oh I was born there" my response " and I bet you moved here when you were like 2 huh?" he said "nope, 3 :)" ha. So after that I asked him... He said it was a small town of Mapleton and I responded (stupidly responded) " Oh are there cowboys and horses there!!??" his answer " we have horses and I guess so.... why?" me: "oh uhhh i donno, I LOVE cowboys and Horses (nervous laughter)" and from the next class he wore cowboy boots, a belt buckle and a cowboy hat to school! That's when I knew he had to sorta like me :)
Well he did everything... He got my number, added me on Myspace (back then fb was newer and he didn't want me to know he had a girlfriend...or his age so yeah), he'd try and hangout those two times when we were both in AZ but I couldn't bc when I'm in AZ I'm busy busy busy. Anyways. We talked almost everyday that summer... then that fall and winter before he left- we talked a few times a week. It was hard for me bc I didn't know his age for sure... I finally figured he must be going on a mission late and that's why he isn't asking me out bc he didn't want me to know? Anyways- It was nice to just get to know him and start falling in love with him for those 9 months before he took off for two years.
Another great thing about this was our teacher- for the entire class would be like "ok you love birds, it's time to listen" and stuff. He predicted (I've never been so red) that we'd get married someday bc "he knows true love when he sees it" and he wanted an invitation! Dru (my mother in law) let him know that we got married and he remembered us! Lol probably remembered us bc we did nothing but talk. Seriously I loved how fun that class was. We shared all our papers (bc Zack made me) with eachother, He'd save my seat everyday (bc I was late), and he'd wait for me after class and walk with me, hold the door and walk me to my car before heading to his. We'd race a little to the freeway and then he'd slow down (bc he was always winning) wave goodbye and I'd get off at my exit and he'd keep going. Now that was young fun love back then.
above is Zack when we met (ok he does look young now that I look back but really he is so hot huh?) and the below is me when we met (and yes I look younger than I was sooo its' ok huh? :P)
After zack went to his mission in Korea (same as emily's mission- emily=my "missionary" I was "waiting" for haha) I took a break in school bc my mom was sick and doing treatment. I was in AZ for a time and then felt I should go to London before finishing school. I also had my last serious relationship before Zack. I'm glad for it bc I learned more of what I didn't want/what I needed and it helped prepare me for Zack. Also, during this time, I kept praying about a mission and being told to wait...I think I was supposed to be home for my mom and then I think the London thing was my last way to prepare for being independent enough/ mature enough for someone as great as Z. In London I knew I was going to go through the temple and that I needed to finish my degree in Utah. It was hard for me to come back to Utah but of course I did. I came back and thought I was going to go on a mission but then figured out that preparing for the temple was just to get my endowments out. Dec 2010 I got them out. It brought me strength, protection and insight that helped me prepare to see Zack again.
Zack's story is this... Before the missions, he was the type of person that does everything for everyone else. He had a hard time with knowing the church was true but he saved up and payed for his own mission and went anyways. He wanted to please his family and also he heard it was the right thing to do, so he was going to do it. Before he left, he was still dating someone. This girl was a good girl but this relationship made him unhappy and this is only because the relationship was a lie (in a way) and he felt controlled by it. She wanted to wait for him and he just wanted to leave for his mission. He left and she waited for part of it. Once she and him stopped talking, is when he says he really felt that he grew up and became happy/independent. It was about that time he gained a testimony of the church being true and a testimony of the power of the attonement. He had amazing experiences that gave him a stronger testimony and helped him grow up in such a way that he made his own decisions. He finally did things that he wanted and felt was right, regardless of how other people might view him or feel about the things he did. He started relying on the Lord for answers and not other people. He really is so good at receiving insight from God. I look up to him in so many ways. He still does everything for everyone else but this time (unlike before the mission) it's because he wants to and it's his decision. No one elses. :)
Zack and me are very opposite in a lot of ways but we both grew those two years we were apart. In such away that God was preparing us for one another. We both are thankful for the experiences - good and bad bc they brought us together!
During those two years, Zack and me both thought about one another. He said he thought about me a lot but I can't say the same. I dated a lot but I've always been good at keeping a huge distance and saying no to relationships lol. I do remember the two times I thought about Zack.
The first time is when I got my palm read (by my mormon RM friend who learned on his mission... ) as a little joke. Jesse told me that I'd marry someone I knew and run into him again when I was 24 and get married soon after (either 24 or 25) haha! Ok so I knew it wasn't true but everything else he read sounded about right. I went through my phone and said I've dated and dated everyone I would date, That I "know" except for this Zack Fellow! I then thought "I wonder if he is married, oh well" I might have looked him up on Myspace and saw he hadn't been on in almost a year and thought dangit, he is so hot. haha
The second time- It was right before he got home (the Sunday before) I was at a party and this girl and I were talking. She said she was from Mapleton and I was like Oh my goodness there is the hottest guy there named Zack something... I dont know his last name. She finally decided it must be "Huffaker" and I was like oh ok well he is probably married. She said she thought he might be but she didn't know. So I dismissed the thought of contacting him.
That Wednesday? of whatever day he got home, I get an email saying "you have a new message on myspace" I look and it's from Zack! I email him back, telling him I dont use myspace, please add me "here" on facebook and from then on we talked daily again... through text and facebook. I started wondering when we were going to go out.... The next part of our story will come shortly. <3


1 comment:
Ashley, I just LOVE you! I can't believe you shared such personal feelings with the world. You're a brave girl. thanks.
Post a Comment